General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

EGR code

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 02:22 PM
Default EGR code

My wife's 2000 Accord with 2.3L just kicked up a check engine light for the EGR (she took it to the Honda dealer to read the code). They told her it needs the EGR port cleaned, and maybe a new valve installed. They want 200 in parts, and 480 in labor to do the job. How hard/bad is it to clean the port? Is this a pull the intake manifold and the valve off, and "roto rooter" it? Or is there more stuff involved going on that I'm not seeing? The dealership says it's most of a day job.
Thanks for any insight you can offer.

Old 04-01-2016, 06:09 AM
Super Moderator

if you get yourself honda accord service manual, it will show you how to clean a egr valve. it goes into the exhaust sys, no intake.

Old 04-02-2016, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by acmech52
if you get yourself honda accord service manual, it will show you how to clean a egr valve. it goes into the exhaust sys, no intake.
I do have the factory service manual, and it DOES show the valve being bolted onto the intake manifold (located between the FPR and the thermostat housing). The book explains testing the valve electrically, and replacing it, but nothing on cleaning out the ports. This is why I asked how hard/bad of a job it is. I'm guessing the exhaust side of the port must be off #4 cylinder (since the valve is located on that end of the intake manifold), and run thru the head (probably under the cam) and to the intake manifold port that the valve is dumping into. It is an Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve after all. In the past I've just replaced the valve, not cleaned out the port, as it's never been a port being clogged issue.

Old 04-21-2016, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Bob2000
I do have the factory service manual, and it DOES show the valve being bolted onto the intake manifold (located between the FPR and the thermostat housing). The book explains testing the valve electrically, and replacing it, but nothing on cleaning out the ports. This is why I asked how hard/bad of a job it is. I'm guessing the exhaust side of the port must be off #4 cylinder (since the valve is located on that end of the intake manifold), and run thru the head (probably under the cam) and to the intake manifold port that the valve is dumping into. It is an Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve after all. In the past I've just replaced the valve, not cleaned out the port, as it's never been a port being clogged issue.
Well finally got to doing this job. Carb cleaner sprayed into the port opening ends got that part of the job done. Ended up replacing the valve as well, as it tested bad according to the FSM (not enough lift). While I had the car in the garage, I also replaced the front rotors (old ones were thin), knocked the drums off to inspect both the drums and shoe thickness, and gave it a much needed tire rotation. The car should be good to go now for a while, as we have an upcoming trip we're going to take in it.

Old 04-23-2016, 08:07 PM

Well done, Bob2000! You saved yourself some cash and took care of some much needed maintenance, too.

Gotta love a Honda!

Old 04-24-2016, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by cueball21
Well done, Bob2000! You saved yourself some cash and took care of some much needed maintenance, too.

Gotta love a Honda!
Thanks. I figure I saved at least 500 bucks, which got offset with what I dumped into my 97 Accord, just trying to get it to run.