Honda Accord Forum This popular mid sized car is offered in both a coupe and sedan, mixes performance with versatility.

1993 accord stall, now starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 02:29 PM
Exclamation 1993 accord stall, now starting problems

I was driving home with my girlfriend when her car stalled. There was no unusual sound coming from the car/engine no jerking or anything else besides a really quick smell of gas then it was gone. Once towed home and into light I was able to start checking things. When the key is turned to on position, you CAN hear the fuel pump kick on. So I checked and replaced the fuel filter cause it needed it anyway. Next was the distributor cap, rotor & wires. Then I pulled the internal ignitor and had it checked,also good. Then I took off the external coil it's also fine. But when i was checking the distibutor i noticed the wires inside were quite coroded in a few spots and the protective covering of the wires gone. So apparently this could be part of the problem. After another 170$ with a new distributor the car still does not start. When you turn the key so does the enginge but it doesn't turn over. I tested the first sparkplug before installing the new distributor and wasn't getting spark.(which is why i bought the new distributor.) I cant afford to keep up with this trial and error on parts. I know i'm figuring out whats not the problem and am getting closer to the solution, but would greatly appreciate any help on this matter. I leave in 2 weeks for Iraq and this is the only car that my girlfriend will have while i am gone. This is my mission for the next few days so i will come back and check this feed often. If you have any questions please ask and i will get back to you asap. I appreciate your time guys.

Old 03-24-2009, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum, Thank You for your service to our country, Keep your head down in Iraq. Come back safe, and alive !!
You have done all the correct things to fix the honda, did you check to see if the timing belt was damaged or ripped a tooth out? and is the timing correct. Do you have a service manual to work with, there are some on line for free.
Sent you an message.

Old 03-24-2009, 11:03 PM

ok so we also changed the ignition coil. still won't start, and there is no spark coming out of the spark plug wires, any ideas???

Old 03-25-2009, 07:07 AM
Super Moderator

timing belt? is the cam turning?

Old 03-26-2009, 12:42 PM
Talking

Ah ha! The cam is not turning and it seems the timing belt has snapped and tried to wedge itself in their. Luckily the parts that i have purchased for this vehicle while i was trying to fix it were usual maintenance parts. So hopefully after replacing this belt the car should be good to go.
Now the fun part of changing the belt......luckily a good friend is a mechanic. Thank you acmech52 for your help.

Old 03-28-2009, 12:42 PM

good luck with the timming belt make sure the engine isn't a interferance engine hopefully the valve's aren't bent.... take care in iraq come back soon